Smoot Lumber company was originally established in 1822 out of Alexandria, Virginia. Smoot Building Solutions has expanded with locations in both DC and Paradise, Pa. Combining our long history in the industry with current technological innovations we are able to provide an enhanced experience for our customers no others can match. Smoot offers one of the most extensive collections of in-stock mouldings in the marketplace in addition to the building materials our customers expect and professional services they rely on.
Our employees are the cornerstone of our success and paramount to our future. Our organization is fast-paced to meet the demands of our customers, while also being fun and rewarding with opportunities for growth. We believe that in an environment where our associates are empowered to service the customer, we all win.
Smoot Building Solutions team is Customer Focused, Associate Driven.
BASIC PURPOSE: (Primary purpose of the position)
Primary duties include making sales or obtaining orders and contracts through specific knowledge of millwork windows and doors. The position is be customarily and regularly engaged in sales work outside the place of business.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (Primary accountability for specific functions and results)
1. Making sales or obtaining orders and contracts for assigned accounts and new accounts in current and emerging markets.
2. Coordinate sales of these assigned accounts by monitoring product and delivery needs.
3. Acts as a subject matter expert in the market to sell with maximum profit and ensure complete product penetration with current and future customers.
4. Manage plan design changes or enhancements.
5. Provide service and education to customers – both internal and external - about specific field.
6. Partner with vendors to improve communication and education to customers about products.
7. Prepare and review sales management reports as required.
8. Demonstrate knowledge in building codes and job site OSHA safety requirements.
9. Provide solutions to customer relating to material procurement, distribution and application.
10. Establish plan to meet with market customers routinely to increase the scope of new business potential.
11. Facilitate customer relations between all SBS departments and customer.
12. Attend necessary conferences and training sessions to maintain a current and thorough understanding of local building codes, product applications and other related areas.
13. Other duties as assigned by location or market management.
BASIC SPECIFICATIONS: (Requirements to perform at a proficient level and be fully qualified)
1. Minimum education required—High School diploma or G.E.D. Prefer a college degree in a business, marketing construction management or related field.
2. Minimum experience required—5 years of sales experience in building materials or related industry.
3. Special skills required—Excellent verbal and written skills, ability to organize and manage within time constraints. Working knowledge of building codes, materials, industry and products. Ability to negotiate prices and contractual agreements.
4. Special knowledge required—Ability to estimate from blueprints, use a calculator and computer.
5. Other—Ability to lift 50 lbs. on a random basis and work in extreme weather conditions.
6. Valid driver’s license ability to travel locally more than 50% of time
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate. Stock Building Supply and it's subsidiaries does not discriminate in practices or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual's race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other proscribed category set forth in federal or state regulations.