UNDER CLOSE SUPERVISION, PERFORMS ANY TYPE OF MANUAL WORK INCLUDING HANDLING AND PREPARING DISTRIBUTION/TRANSMISSION LINE MATERIALS, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT. OPERATES VEHICULAR AND MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT. ASSISTS IN THE EXCAVATION AND PLACEMENT OF DEENERGIZED AERIAL AND UNDERGROUND LINES AND EQUIPMENT AND THE INSTALLATION OF POLES AND TOWERS. SOME CLIMBING IS REQUIRED.
1. UNDER CLOSE SUPERVISION, REGULARLY AND CUSTOMARILY HANDLES AND PREPARES MATERIALS, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT AND TACKLE ON GROUND, AND DOES ANY TYPE OF MANUAL WORK REQUIRED.
2. ASSISTS IN EXCAVATION AND BACKFILLING OF TRENCHES, USING HAND AND PNEUMATIC TOOLS, SUCH AS THOSE NORMALLY USED BY LABORERS.
3. ASSISTS IN PLACEMENT OF DE-ENERGIZED UNDERGROUND LINES AND EQUIPMENT.
4. PERFORMS OTHER RELATED OR LESS-SKILLED WORK, AS REQUIRED OR DIRECTED.
5. MUST BE ABLE TO DEAL PROPERLY WITH THE PUBLIC IN THE BEST INTREST OF THE COMPANY. MUST COMPLY WITH ALL SAFETY RULES.
6. TAKES NECESSARY TRAINING TO QUILIFY FOR ADVANCEMENT TO HIGHER LINE MECHANIC GRADES, INCLUDING CLIMBING AND WORK ON DE-ENERGIZED OVERHEAD AND UNDERGROUND SYSTEMS.
7. IS REQUIRED TO ASSIST IN INSTALLING POLES AND TOWERS, INCLUDING DIGGING HOLES, ERECTING POLES AND TOWERS, ETC.
8. MAY BE REQUIRED TO TRIM TREES AND CLEAR BRUSH FROM RIGHT-A-AWAY.
9. OPERATES VEHICULAR AND MATERIAL HANDLING EQUIPMENT WHEN REQUIRED. MUST OBTAIN APPROPRIATE VALID LICENSE.
10. MUST BE WILLING AND ABLE TO WORK OVERTIME ON A REGULAR BASIS AND MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR CALLOUT OVERTIME.
Ability and willingness to participate in Transmission and Distribution training programs to qualify for advancement to higher Line Mechanic grades.
Ability and willingness to work in a variety of work environments including: all weather conditions, at extreme heights (above 30 feet), in confined spaces or enclosed vessels, in dark areas or areas with limited lighting, and in hot, foul water, mud, dust, noxious fumes, noisy, and dirty environments while wearing proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other heavy equipment.
Ability and willingness to perform both indoor and outdoor tasks for extended periods of time (for example, lifting up to 90 pounds, climbing ladders repetitively throughout a shift, climbing scaffolding and poles, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling, pulling/pushing, standing, walking, and squatting), while wearing heavy equipment.
Ability and willingness to work on or around hazardous equipment/materials (for example, coal ash, open flames, heavy equipment, etc.), and/or energized electrical equipment.
Ability and willingness to wear and use safety equipment as required by Federal, State, Local and Company regulations (for example, ear plugs, helmets, steel toed shoes, rubber gloves and sleeves, hard hat, fire retardant clothing).
Ability and willingness to work rotating shift work, on holidays and weekends, overtime, and during emergencies or standby as required.
Ability and willingness to perform a second role in accordance with PH's Emergency Preparedness Guidelines for all employees
Ability and willingness to travel to various Company locations and job sites.
Ability and willingness to operate aerial lifts.
Must possess a valid jurisdictional driver’s license.
If 21 years of age or older - Must possess an interstate CDL, Class A license and a medical card OR the ability to obtain each within six months of hire date OR if 19 or 20 years of age - Must possess an intrastate CDL, Class A license and a medical card OR the ability to obtain each within six months of hire date.
Ability and willingness to comply with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations of the U.S. Department of Transportation (including being at least 18 years of age, physical certification, substance abuse testing, etc).
Must successfully pass qualification tests including paper and pencil tests and a 2-day outdoor Pre-Qualification Exercise that requires performing physically demanding tasks continuously throughout the 2-day period, including climbing poles and working with and wearing heavy equipment.
Must successfully pass a Criminal History Records Check which consists of a 7-year criminal records check for felony convictions
Must successfully pass a medical screening to include a drug test.
This position is a NERC Regulated position. As such, a background check will be conducted on the incumbent every seven years. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to complete annual NERC compliance training.
Experience demonstrating skill climbing poles.
Experience demonstrating skill operating aerial lifts.
Experience demonstrating skill utilizing hand tools, power tools, hydraulic presses and cutters.
Experience demonstrating skill working with equipment and materials associated with electric distribution system construction.