Our culture is built around our people. Voted a Top Workplace in the Philadelphia region by our employees, we are committed to advancing careers and providing a foundation for professional growth. Urban offers a wide range of health, welfare and financial benefits to our employees, as well as career development through our own Urban Training Institute, tuition assistance program, and certification incentives.
Founded in 1960, Urban provides services for buildings, ports, transit, railroads, airports, bridges, and highways. We specialize in engineering design, environmental, planning, construction services, and program management. By providing innovation, technical excellence, and on-time performance, we create value for a proud Urban family.
This position allows for growth and will report to the Rail and Transit Regional Leader. The candidate will be responsible for the project staffing, engineering quality, efficient utilization of staff, client satisfaction, and profitability of projects for both public and private sector clients. The position also includes business development activities and proposal development.
Our primary expectations for this Group Design Leader – Rail and Transit position includes:
• Oversee the preparation and development of high quality plans, specifications, schedules, and estimates
• Manage design project budgets and schedules
• Recruit, mentor and develop staff
• Execute and coordinate designs for complex multi-discipline projects
• Manage and guide project managers and engineers
• Prepare staffing performance evaluations
• Support design and proposal needs of remote office managers
• Support regional office managers in leading project pursuits and identifying teaming partners.
• Assist in the preparation of proposals and statements of qualifications
Minimum Candidate Qualifications are:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related technical discipline
• Eligible for registration as a professional engineer in multiple states
• 15+ years of design experience of multi-discipline Rail and Transit related projects including track, civil, structures, systems, as well as passenger and maintenance facilities
• 10 years of project management experience
• Proven experience working with Rail and Transit clients
• Business Development Experience
• Strong ability to lead, manage and recruit project level staff
• Active participation in Rail and Transit related organizations
• Some travel time will be required