General Foreman – Tree & Right-of-Way
General Foremen are responsible to supervise and coordinate the activities of vegetation management crews to ensure that their work is safe, efficient and meets quality standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work Direction and Oversight
Prepares project for work, and assures that work is completed in the most efficient and productive way possible.
- Schedules/mobilizes labor, equipment, material and tools to be on site when needed
- Instructs Crew Leaders in work scheduling, processes, procedures, locations, etc.
- Makes frequent work site visits to inspect work in progress and ensure it conforms to standards; and to monitor productivity and safety
- Works together with utility foresters/inspectors to clarify work specifications, coordinate work audits/inspections and address customers issues.
- Coordinates permissioning process (where appropriate)
- Responds to customer or property owner complaints
- Monitors material consumption
- Organizes and coordinates crew mobilization and dispatch activity during storm-damage response
- Work Site Safety
Takes lead role in safety to ensure the well being of employees, customers and the public.
- Coaches and mentors crew leaders in their front-line safety roles, including enforcement of required safety practices like personal protective equipment; traffic/public control; emergency response; job site safety communications; and equipment safety.
- Assures that employees receive training and guidance in work procedures needed to perform well in their jobs, and that work assignments are compatible with skill levels and abilities.
- Identifies and acknowledges positive and safe employee work practices. Provides feedback on at-risk behaviors, and makes immediate correction.
- Works with crew leaders to assure that employees have the appropriate safety equipment to perform job tasks.
- Leads investigation of accidents/incidents, and takes remedial action as required; in serious or catastrophic cases, assists Safety Department with post-accident investigation.
- Manages Personnel
Training and development
- Works with Crew Leaders to ensure that skill verification is conducted to assess new hires and support skill-based rate increases
- Ensures that employees receive training to prepare for job assignments, including new hire orientation and job-specific training
- Appraises performance of direct reports to communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback as a means for improvement
- Encourages professionalism and pride in profession by promoting appropriate licensing and professional designation programs, and participation in professional associations and profession-related activities
- Communicates with employees about the Company’s values and vision. Interprets and explains company policies and procedures. Ensures Crew Leaders carry chain of communication to next level.
- Acts as a link to the corporate office for employees on administrative issues, requests for information and other work-related questions.
- Responds to employee needs and concerns quickly and confidentially.
Discipline and conflict resolution
- Mediates employee conflict in the best interests of the employees, and the overall best interests of the organization
- Administers corrective action program.
- Serves as a role model for professional behavior, and leads by example
- Provides motivation needed to meet safety, efficiency and quality standards.
- Administrative Functions
- Maintains records and documentation related to man-hours; equipment and tool use; material inventory and storage; accident/incident reports; property-related permission and permits; customer records; labor disputes; and other job-specific records.
- Works together with Billing Department, as directed by supervisor, to ensure accurate and timely billing to customer
- Reviews and verifies weekly timesheets, and approves extraordinary expenses
CDL License is a plus.
Rate of Pay: Varies depending upon Skills and Experience.
Work Area: Travel required. Candidates must be flexible to travel when called upon since work locations are subject to change upon short notice based on contract demands.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance, Tuition Reimbursement, Retirement Plan, Paid Time Off!! We Pay Weekly!!
Penn Line Service is a multi-state specialty contractor based in Scottdale, PA. Our tree division, which specializes in line clearance work, employs over 600 employees who work on a year round basis. You can locate more information on our website at .
We are a Drug Free Workplace.
We encourage minorities and females to apply.