Johnstone Supply is a leading wholesale supplier to the heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration industry. We pride ourselves on world-class customer service, technical support and professionalism to the trade. We are privately owned and part of the largest wholesale cooperative in the nation, and currently rank as the #2 HVAC/R distributor in the United States.
The cooperative has 400 stores nationwide, sales of over $2 billion, and six major distribution centers strategically located throughout the country. We have 5 branches located in New Jersey and the Philadelphia area with immediate openings due to company expansion and market demand. We are seeking well qualified, enthusiastic people to help us maintain the highest levels of customer satisfaction and help continue to grow our business.
Manages store operations to meet goals and objectives for sales, profitability, and customer experience in the local market.
- Establishes, communicates and models performance expectations for all store team members. Institutes goals for store performance and encourages employees to create self-set goals.
- Ensures performance expectations are met by monitoring reports, gathering feedback from customers, and observing performance. Works with employees to facilitate attainment of self-set goals.
- Holds employees accountable for store and self-set goals. Performs formal periodic staff reviews. Provides routine informal feedback to manage employee performance. Takes corrective action as necessary and rewards employees when appropriate. Regularly holds individual performance discussions (i.e. “One-On-Ones”) with direct reports.
- Ensures team members are up-to-date and knowledgeable regarding store operations and the company as a whole by holding regular meetings, and continually providing information and status reports.
- Participates in the hiring, recruiting and interview processes to identify qualified candidates within established processes and guidelines.
- Ensures team members have the knowledge and skills needed to perform their jobs by providing regular training. Provides learning opportunities to develop employees for promotion.
- Ensures adequate staffing levels to meet business needs by establishing working schedules, approving vacation, and cross-training employees to fill in when needed. Reviews appropriate staffing levels with management to optimize productivity.
- Maintains a safe working environment by: communicating safety rules; observing and coaching employees in complying with safety rules; removing safety obstacles; complying with all governmental regulations including OSHA, Worker’s Compensation, Fire, and MSDS; and ensuring all equipment is maintained and operated in a safe manner including the training and certifications of employees designated to operate equipment.
- Ensures compliance at the branch level with all company employment policies, and applicable state and federal employment laws.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date financial records, store operational records, documentation, and employee performance files.
Business Management and Financial Success
- Establishes sales and profitability goals for the store in conjunction with management. Develops plans and budgets to meet goals. Regularly monitors performance against goals and takes corrective action where necessary.
- Provides feedback about market level pricing to management. Manages local discounting and quoting within company guidelines.
- Manages store inventory to ensure security, accuracy, and ability to meet customer product requirements. Ensures cycle counting program is implemented per established procedures.
- Oversees customer product returns and warranty processing, balancing customer requests with company guidelines and procedures.
- Oversees warehouse and delivery operations, including receiving, labeling, put-away and order fulfillment. Monitors delivery schedules to ensure accurate, on-time delivery of orders.
- Ensures the security and proper maintenance of all store property, equipment and other assets by managing security procedures, and implementing a regular schedule of equipment maintenance.
- Controls store operational costs, including labor, supplies, freight, utilities, etc. to ensure overall store profitability.
- Ensures that cash drawer is balanced daily and that daily bank deposit made.
- Ensures Owners are up-to-date and knowledgeable regarding store operations by continually providing information and status reports.
Customer Sales and Service
- Ensures customers receive prompt, professional service both in person and over the phone by establishing standards, monitoring interaction quality, and enforcing standards. Works directly with customers, especially during busy times or with key customer accounts.
- Manages counter sales transactions and ensures that employees increase sales through add-on and suggestive selling techniques.
- Works to support outside and inside sales activity; develops and/or implements sales programs and promotions; follows through on established programs. Provides information regarding customer buying habits and needs to Outside Sales or management on a regular basis. Performs outside sales calls as necessary.
- Develops relationships and rapport with customers to establish win-win partnerships and encourages employees to do the same.
- Maintains cleanliness and appearance of the showroom, warehouse and exterior of the facility. Ensures displays are updated and rotated regularly to increase sales opportunities.
- Ensures that customer complaints and disputes are resolved in a timely, professional manner that balances customer requests with business needs.
- Maintains and updates product knowledge. Stays informed and educated as to product inventory and applicability in order to help customers with product selection.
General Results and Responsibilities
- Adheres to and enforces all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes.
- May represent Johnstone Supply at trade associations, events and local chapters.
Johnstone Supply believes that each employee’s contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, it is expected that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma / GED required OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in store management/operations in a wholesale environment.
- College degree in a relevant field (e.g. business).
- Direct experience in HVACR or similar industry.
Job-Specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of human resource management principles, including recruiting and hiring, training and development, delegating, coaching, and evaluating employees.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to create and manage a high-functioning team.
- Ability to plan, organize, and direct the activities of subordinates.
- Ability to listen to others to identify concerns and needs.
- Ability to communicate with others in order to influence attitudes and actions.
- Skill in facilitating open lines of communication.
- Ability to clarify company objectives and translate them to daily employee activities.
- Ability to develop efficient work procedures.
- Knowledge of wholesale distribution store operations, including order fulfillment, inventory control, customer service, showroom merchandising, shipping and receiving, and sales.
- Ability to provide consistent, quality customer service.
- Knowledge of financial operations (i.e., profit and loss, costs of operations, return on investment, budgets). Ability to read and interpret financial reports.
- Demonstrated ability to manage profit and loss in order to maximize financial performance.
- Knowledge of showroom merchandising techniques to drive sales.
- Skill in using computer systems to locate information, process transactions and to manage store operations.
- Skill in the use of PC-based spreadsheets and word processing programs (MS Word/Excel).
- General knowledge of inventory management principles and procedures, including procurement, storage, forecasting and handling dead inventory.
- General knowledge of sales and marketing processes and techniques to drive sales.
- General knowledge of the HVACR industry, contractor customer needs and product applications.
- Knowledge of governmental regulations as applied to product distribution, including OSHA regulations, Worker’s Compensation, and Hazardous Materials Handling.
- Problem-solving skills: listening to, interpreting, and meeting the needs of others; diagnosing and rectifying problems.
- Ability to develop and use systems for organizing information.
- Skill in following through on commitments.
- Ability to multitask and skill in prioritizing work.
- Ability to develop and implement operational plans.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and marketing pieces.
- Ability to work efficiently and with a sense of urgency.
- Maintains confidentiality of information.
- Ability to establish and continuously improve work procedures and systems.
- Keeps the company’s best interest in mind when considering or addressing issues.
- Ability to demonstrate considerable tact and diplomacy in dealing with others and to maintain relationships.
Expected Work Behaviors:
- Keeps the company’s best interest in mind at all times.
- Consistently works to promote company growth while maintaining ethical standards.
- Maintains a professional personal appearance.
- Team-oriented, energetic environment
- Competitive salary
- Strong benefit package
- Retirement plan
- Long term disability and life insurance program
- Accidental death and dismemberment coverage
- Continuing Education Assistance & In-house training opportunities